Pico de gallo is a fresh salsa made with tomatoes, onions and cilantro. It's the perfect dip with chips or to top tacos, burritos, enchiladas, and salads. Freshly made in minutes!
Click here to PIN this pico de gallo recipe!
Pico de gallo is so much more than a dip for your chips. It's the perfect fresh salsa to top your favorite Mexican meals. I also love to mix it into my guacamole!
About This Recipe
It's not difficult to whip up a bowl of pico de gallo. With just 5 simple ingredients, you can have a delicious fresh salsa ready in a bowl within minutes!
I use this recipe often, but much of the measurements are by taste. My favorite ratio is using the same amount of onions to tomatoes. I've also tried red onions, but it was much too spicy. Save your red onions for my favorite sandwich recipe.
The grocery list for this recipe is small. Here's what you need:
- Red tomatoes - I prefer Roma, but you can use any ripened red tomatoes. Slightly under ripe is fine, but you'll find more flavor with ripe.
- Yellow onion - White onions work here, too, but my favorite is the yellow onion. As I stated earlier, red onions make this too spicy for me and over power the tomatoes but if you like that sort of thing, go for it.
- Jalepeno - Just one fresh jalapeno will do, but add more or less to your liking.
- Cilantro - A small bunch of chopped cilantro adds a citrusy and peppery punch. If you're one of those that thinks cilantro tastes like soap, simply leave it out.
- Lime juice - Please use FRESHLY squeezed lime juice, always. It makes a difference.
- Salt & pepper - For the usual reason.
How To Make Pico de Gallo
This recipe is easy and fast, and it requires few ingredients. Scroll to the recipe card for the step by step on how to make pico de gallo. The general steps are as follows:
- Dice equal amounts tomatoes and onions. Toss in a bowl.
- Add diced jalepeno, chopped cilantro and the juice from a lime.
- Toss all ingredients, season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Let set 15 minutes before serving.
Click here for full recipe ingredients and instructions.
Pico de gallo is useful in many dishes, especially for your favorite night of Mexican cuisine! We eat this with walking tacos, grilled chicken tacos, taco rice, nachos, and more!
Did you know you can even put pico de gallo on pizza?
Make Ahead Tips
This fresh salsa gets better the longer it sets. So, you can make pico de gallo ahead of time with success! Keep it in a seal tight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Because it lasts up to 1 week, it's really not necessary to try to prep your ingredients ahead of time. If you're going to do that, then you might as well just toss it all together and let the flavors blend.
More Salsa Recipes
Love salsa? I have more favorite salsa recipes below!
- Fresh Tomato Salsa
- Restaurant Style Salsa
- Pineapple Mango Salsa
- Avocado and Mango Salsa
- Black Eyed Pea Salsa
PRINT this recipe or PIN it to save for later. Made this recipe? Leave a STAR RATING below and tag me on social media @seededtable so I can see. I love hearing from you!
Photography by Marie Roffey.
Pico de Gallo
- 6 medium ripened Roma tomatoes , seeded and diced
- 1 small yellow onion , peeled and diced
- 1 small fresh jalapeno , seeded and finely diced
- 1 small bunch fresh cilantro , chopped
- juice from 1 large lime
- Salt & pepper , to taste
- Toss all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl, using equal amounts of tomatoes and onion. Season with salt and pepper.
- Let set at least 15 minutes before serving. Taste and add more salt and pepper as needed.
- Every ingredient measurement in this recipe can be adjusted to taste.
- Don't like cilantro? Leave it out completely, but don't substitute parsley.
- Too spicy or not enough spice? Add more or less jalapeno.
- Add diced avocado for a delicious variation.
- Use this as a dip with chips or as a salsa to top burritos, tacos, enchiladas and salads.
Leave a Reply